Thursday, January 31, 2013

Boy to Girl {Nursery Update!}

The great room switch is progressing.  You know that point where progress doesn't look pretty?  Yeah, that's where we're at.  Instead of focusing on how un-done baby girl's room is, I'm choosing to focus on the sweet little things that are done.  Small victories, y'all.


First off, we have a girly rug!  The Kiddo's rug went with him to his big boy room, so we needed a new one in here.  I really, really thought I would be buying this rug from Ikea.  I was positive.  Nothing could change my mind.  And then we made the trip to Ikea in Round Rock and I met the Tradklover rug.  There was much hemming and hawing as I went back and forth between the two.  In the end, the Tradklover won.  It's polypropylene...which I generally dislike.  I'm all about buying rugs made out of natural materials, and the Stockholm Rand is made from wool...and reversible to boot!  But it's also rough and not really something I want sweet little baby knees crawling on, so I switched to the Tradklover.  I have no regrets.  It did off-gas for about a week, but luckily that coincided with our warm weather streak, so I was able to have the windows open and the ceiling fan on every day to let out the smell.  I know it will wear well and take a beating, and that is so important in a kid's room.  Plus she's pink!  


Next up, I have our sweet girl's baby blanket crocheted!  I used Lion Brand Sock-Ease yarn in Cotton Candy and the Sunshine Blanket pattern from Linda Permann's Little Crochet.  It's a wool blend, but it's super lightweight, so it will be easy to care for and perfect for Spring in Texas.

In case you're wondering what all this blanket is hiding, I have stacks of hand-me-downs in piles by sizes that are hanging out in the crib.  I'm all about the organized chaos.


And here is the next nursery project on my to-do list...a chevron stripe baby quilt!  I'll be using the Anna Maria Horner coral, teal, and citrine prints for the stripes and the Amy Butler grey and off-white floral for the back and binding.


The pillow and the throw are also from our recent Ikea trip.  The cream colored curtains were previously used in lieu of closet doors when the Kiddo used this as his nursery.  I'm contemplating re-installing the doors since we are now using the curtains on the window.  On my to-do list, the rocking chair will be getting a new white slipcover!  I'm thinking the more light-colored accents I bring in, the more feminine the room will feel, even with the blue walls.

Hubster has been busy with paint adding new leaves to the tree.  We've used Coral Gables by Ben Moore (color matched in Valspar from Lowe's) for new wall accents and...


...as a new coat of paint for my old Eiffel Tower lamp, which sits proudly next to the vintage clock radio Baby Girl received from her Grandma, and my Molly doll (which is also technically vintage, ha!).  


I couldn't resist this mama and baby fox at Ikea.  We did owls for the Kiddo and will be doing foxes for Baby Girl.  Not too many - I don't want to be too theme-y - but I'm so drawn to all the cute foxes out there right now, they're hard to pass up.


And Baby Girl has a couple of new outfits in addition to her hand-me-downs!  Hubster couldn't resist buying her the Baylor cheerleader outfit the last time we were in Waco (I don't blame him) and I had to get some Mommy-Love in there somewhere.  ;)

Her closet isn't going to stay this bright green...more painting on the never-ending list of things to do.  But it will all get done.  I have faith.  

And seriously, if it doesn't, it's really not the end of the world.  It's so easy to get swept up with all the fun ideas for a little girl nursery.  But while this little girl is such a sweet blessing from God, she is not the only member of this family.  And with 4 room make-overs going all at the same time, something is going to have to give at some point.  I keep reminding myself of that, with the knowledge that the most important thing is to have a healthy baby and a healthy mama.  Everything else is just icing on the cake.  :)

2 comments:

  1. LOVE what you are doing to baby girl's nursery. And I especially love the Baylor outfit. Sick 'Em Bears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janna! I just realized I need to get a new shirt for the Kiddo, too...he's outgrown all his Baylor t-shirts! Luckily his Mimi gave him her Growl Towel and I'm hanging it in his big boy room. Gotta get the Baylor love in there somewhere. ;)

      Delete