Tuesday, January 22, 2013

All The Small Things...

Slowly but surely things have been shaping up around here.  I firmly believe that it's the small things that make a space feel complete.  And, often times the small things are quick and easy to change.  Since I'm waiting on an order of fabric before finalizing furniture and chandelier paint colors, now is the perfect time to tackle some of these projects.


The Kiddo's bathroom has long needed hooks.  I think it's a good idea to encourage independence...which is fortunate because I have a very independent-minded young gentleman on my hands!  Hooks in the bath mean the Kiddo can get his own towel off the wall to dry with and hang it back up again.  Bonus: this means I will be bending over a little less in my 3rd trimester.  Just a little less...but I'll take it!


I still love these framed antique book pages as much as I did the first time we hung them.  But the frames were lacking a little something.

Nothing a little gold couldn't fix.


This was a painless change since I knew the frames could easily be re-sprayed black if the gold turned out to be a little too much.  But I'm loving gold tones right now, so I was fairly confident I would be happy with them...and I am.

My gold crush started over the summer when I found this on a thrifting spree in Pagosa Springs, CO.


The shade it came with was hideous, so I replaced it with one of the many I have on hand from the many lamps which have died a slow and painful death thanks to the combined efforts of a 2 year old and a very grown man.  I initially had intentions of painting the base a fun color (or white at the very least), but once I got it home I just couldn't.  I've never been a fan of brass, but this one just reeled me in.

And over time, I've really grown to love the warmth of gold tones against the cooler tones of our house.

Which eventually led this classically shaped mirror...


...to get a facelift as well.


I love how it instantly brightened the space.  Seriously love.

And the juxtaposition of the 1980's vintage brass lamp with the mirror is fun, too.


(Yes, there is a bowl and a spoon on my bookshelves.  And remotes.  Y'all just pretend y'all don't see those and I'll pretend I didn't put my independent-minded gentleman down for a nap 7 times this afternoon.)

All in all I'm super happy with these quick little updates.  They make me smile in the middle of a (still) very chaotic house.

Still on my list for the bathroom is to come up with some filler for the space between the hooks and the framed book-pages.


The hooks are as low as possible so little hands can easily access them.  I'm thinking of hunting down numbers in all different fonts and colors to hang...or maybe stenciling numbers....or stenciling numbers in all different fonts and colors.

Or I might go in a whole different direction.  We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment