Saturday, October 8, 2011

Day 8 | Rockin' the Broccoli and Cheese Soup

I know the calendar says October, and October means Fall.  But in Texas it just doesn't feel that way.  It's still humid and very warm {I won't say hot since we're finally out of the 100s}.  I mean, it's perfectly comfortable outside...as long as I'm wearing a tank top and shorts and go barefoot. 

I keep trying to usher in the season with hearty dishes, though.  It's as if my body says it's time for it to be Fall...and then I step outside and think I'm crazy for making soups and chilis and stews.  But they're so good!  I'll just stay inside and crank the AC and pretend the wind is blustery and chilly outside.

Broccoli & Cheese Soup {adapted from Emeril} 

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp unsalted butter 
1 cup chopped red onions {or whatever you have on hand}
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
quick dash of nutmeg
1 large clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth {I used bouillon since I'm out of broth}
1 16 oz package frozen broccoli
1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/4 cup shredded cheese, pizza blend {or whatever you have on hand that sounds good}
croutons

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Saute onions, salt, pepper and nutmeg until the onions are translucent.  Add garlic and thyme and stir until blended thoroughly.  Add flour and stir to blend well.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil while stirring.  Bring down to a simmer until mixture thickens. 


Add broccoli and cover for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.  Remove from heat and puree in batches using a blender or food processor.  Return to pot. 


Bring to simmer, then add milk, cheese, and butter, and cook until cheese and butter is melted and blended. 


Serve immediately garnished with croutons.  Serves 4 {or 2 very generous adult servings and two servings for the kiddo}.

Hopefully it's Fall-like where you live and you can snuggle up with a bowl of soup this weekend.  Enjoy!

Check out all the other 31 Dayers here.

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh - I spent two semesters in Texas and couldn't get used to wearing shorts at Thanksgiving! So funny. This looks really delicious - I've bookmarked this for when it finally gets cooler here in NJ. Even here it's going to be in the 80s today - where is Fall?

    ReplyDelete