Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 27 | Fall Breakfast. Fast.

I love oatmeal.  I eat it year round.  But there is something about waking up to the first cold Texas morning that makes you want a really good bowl of oatmeal.  Nothing instant and powdered, but it still needs to be quick.  Because we've got places to go and people to see on this beautiful Fall morning.


There is nothing like oatmeal made on the stove top.  But that is a rare occurrence in my house.  The general rule of thumb with oatmeal is the same as with rice.  1 part oats to 2 parts liquid.  I use thick organic oats, so they aren't "super" quick cooking, but they're still pretty dang quick.

My Favorite Fall Oatmeal

Ingredients:
1/4 cup organic oatmeal
1/2 cup organic apple juice
generous helping of ground cinnamon
handful of organic rasins

Add everything to a microwave safe bowl.  Heat on high for about 2 minutes {more or less, depending on your microwave}.  Let cool for 1 minutes before diving in and devouring.


Warm Fall goodness.  :)

You might like milk or water instead of apple juice in your oatmeal.  Apple juice is naturally sweet so I don't add any extra sugar, but if I use milk or water I often add some brown or turbinado sugar, or a drizzle of real maple syrup.  You can add dried cranberries, nuts, a dash of wheat germ, flax seed {whole or ground}...your only limit with oatmeal is your creativity.  It takes all of 30 seconds to toss everything in a bowl and 3 minutes to heat and cool, so oatmeal is my go-to healthy, warm breakfast for a busy, cold morning.

Enjoy!

Check out all the other 31 Dayers here!

1 comment:

  1. Judith, I am loving your blog!! Thank you for all the great recipe ideas - I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete