Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 13 | Butternut Love.

I have a looooong history of being a picky eater. 

That being said, I really, really want my child to like food.  Not in a pig-out-all-day-every-day kind of way, but in a way where he likes veggies, fruits, and grains, and prefers healthier food to junk food.

Ha!  I know...dare to dream.  So, in our adventure with cooking baby food at home, I've been trying out recipes with ingredients in them that I, myself, have never before tried...and then feeding them to my child.

The awesome thing is, I'm discovering there are a lot of foods and flavor combinations out there that I've never tried and I actually love!  Like lentils.  And kale.  And butternut squash.


I am 100% sure that my mom never made me butternut squash growing up.  I know it's a Fall-ish, Thanksgiving-y type of food, but it never graced our Thanksgiving table.  Aside from vaguely remembering it being mentioned in an episode of Friends back in the day {squatternut buash anyone?}, I had no frame of reference for Mr. Butternut.  Zilch.

Then I made butternut squash puree for the Kiddo...and I had to try some to make sure it wasn't too hot for him...and I fell in love.

How have I lived my whole life and never tried butternut squash?!

I've seen butternut squash recipes popping up everywhere, and I want to try them all!

For dinner last night, we tried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup courtesy of Simple Bites.


The recipe calls for fresh sage, which we have in abundance in our backyard.  We doubled the sage, and I used plain whole fat yogurt instead of sour cream to garnish.


It did not disappoint!  We are a butternut squash lovin' family now.  :)

Have you tried any new foods that you absolutely love lately?

Check out all the other 31 Dayers here.

No comments:

Post a Comment