Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day 16 | Pumpkin Spice {Mini} Muffins

Hey there!  So how's your weekend going?  I hope you're all doing restful and relaxing things.

Sad to say my Bears lost against the Aggies.  Bummer right?  I'm not gonna lie...it wasn't even close.  It was like watching a train wreck.

There's nothing like baking to lift one's spirits.  And I really wasn't sure if we had enough food in the house {beef chili, chicken & apple brats with tortillas, chips and queso, and hummus}, so I decided to make Pumpkin Spice Muffins.


The basic idea behind this recipe came from my friend, Megan.  She uses a box of spice mix and a 15 oz. can of pumpkin {no oil, milk, or eggs} to make her pumpkin spice muffins.  Her method is fast, easy, and so delicious.  But with a box mix you don't have control over what's in the mix.  So for my version, I used a recipe from my Better Homes & Garden cookbook and then tweaked it a bit, changing out some of the flour and sugar.

They are light, fluffy, and finger-licking good.  :)

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder {I use an aluminum free version}
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 15 oz. can pumpkin

Add all ingredients to a large bowl and beat until mixed well, wiping down the bowl as needed.


Beat on highest speed for just a little bit longer {30 seconds-ish}.  Your batter should look like this...


...and this is when I started feeling much, much better about my team losing today.  Because I realized I am serving my Aggie guests {who I really do love very much} burnt orange muffins...very reminiscent of their arch-enemy the Longhorns.  Hehehe!  This was obviously not intentional; I can't control the color God made pumpkins.  ;)  But I'm loving the coincidence.

Better than the color of the batter is the fact that there are no eggs in the batter.  So after I filled my mini muffin pan and a regular sized muffin pan, I licked the bowl to my heart's content.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-13 minutes for mini muffins, or 17-20 minutes for regular muffins.


Cute...but you can't have just one now can you?  Plus he looks lonely!


So delicious.  I'm sure my friends will love these even if the color isn't maroon.  ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have you checked out the other 31 Dayers yet?  If you haven't you should!  Here are some other 31 Day bloggers that I'm loving:

The Everyday Kitchen: 31 Days of Eating Well  *post edit: Judith is no longer taking part in the 31 day series, but you still should go check out her site!

Kit and Her Caboodle: 31 Days of Loving the Church

Tiny Twig: 31 Days to a No Brainer Wardrobe

Life in Grace: 31 Tips to Rebuilding Your House and Heart

This Blessed Life: 31 Days to a Cleaner Diet

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to pass along this recipe to my sister. My nephew, poor little guy, is allergic to eggs, dairy, soy and even goat's milk - which makes it tough for her to find treats to make him. I know she'll love this recipe!

    Thanks for the shout out but I am definitely not going to be able keep up with all of my 31 Days posts and changed all my links/pages today. If you haven't already, you'll probably have to just remove the link because the pages on my blog are deleted... Sorry - I just got in over my head!

    And finally - you may laugh outloud - but would you believe I went to Baylor too? Actually, it was only two semesters (1993-94) before I transferred back to NJ. I had a great time, but I missed my friends and the East Coast too much. Crazy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A fellow Bear! That is hilarious...I know it's cliche, but it really *is* a small world! I almost left after my first year, too. It took me awhile to get used to living in a town where the only recreation was shopping at Richland Mall, going to the movies, or going for a drive up and down Valley Mills. I'm glad I stayed, though. I met the Hubster in Waco. ;)

    I completely understand about the 31 days. I'll edit the post, but I'd still like to link to your homepage if that's okay with you. Your blog is a honey pot of inspiration. :)

    Oh! For your sister...that cookbook, The Petite Appetit, is full of recipes that are egg-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, etc. There's also a second cookbook that's a follow-up called The Petite Appetit: Eat, Drink, and Be Merry that has snack foods, beverages, and party food, all with the same concept in mind. I haven't bought it yet, but I plan on checking it out before the Kiddo's birthday so I can have foods that all his little cousins and friends can eat. :) AND, when I was googling the title of her 2nd cookbook I just saw that she has a blog! http://www.petitappetit.com/blog/

    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - you brought me right back to Waco with Richland Mall and Valley Mills! Sounds like your decision to stay worked out perfectly! :)

    Thanks so much for the link to The Petite Appetit - I'll happily pass it along! It's hard to find good recipes for snacks and treats for kids who have allergies. She's always on the hunt for new ideas.

    I haven't had a chance to comment the past couple of days but I LOVE your doggie treat recipe. I don't have a dog, but I am *doggie-godmother* to the sweetest little girl, Charlotte. I'll see her at Christmas and plan to bring some of your cookies then.

    Thanks for editing the link and your kind words - October proved to be a busy one for me! :)

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete