Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Fastest and Best Hot Chocolate

best-microwave-hot-chocolate

It got cold again.  As the winds turned from calm to blustery late yesterday afternoon, my son and I sat cuddled up listening to the wind chimes blow and he asked for hot chocolate.  I looked at him and realized that at 3 years old he already knows that when it gets cold we need to cozy up, hunker down, and have something warm in our hands.  With all of the craziness of the evening hours comes dinner and baths and stories and tucking little feet into their beds.  It's just me and the kids in the evenings, with me running back and forth between the two littles.  It's not usually leisurely, at least not for me.  But here was an opportunity to change that.  A chance to make, at least one evening, special and different.

best-microwave-hot-chocolate-2

The best recipe I've ever found for hot chocolate came off the back of a can of HEB Cocoa Powder.  I've tried so many different recipes, but this is the one I hold all other recipes to.  As fabulous as the recipe is, it makes a huge pot of hot chocolate.  I only needed 2 cups, and I really didn't want to wash a pot.  So I reached back into my memory and tried to remember my shortcut for this recipe...the way I used to make it long before babies, when it was just me and my husband.  I'm not sure this is the way I used to do it, but it turned out fabulous.  Just as good as making on the stove in a large pot, but without the extra dishes.

Microwave Hot Chocolate 

For each mug of hot chocolate you will need:

1 Tbsp cocoa powder

1 Tbsp sugar

a pinch of kosher salt

2 Tbsp water

1 cup of milk

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

In the bottom of your mug add cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and water.  Stir with a fork to combine until smooth.  Add milk and stir gently.  Microwave on high for 2 minutes or until heated through.  Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla extract.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment