Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hello 2014. Hello Change.


I've been thinking a lot lately about change and the new year.  For me, the last half of 2012 and all of 2013 was like one huge run on sentence.  2013 left me completely run down, knowing that something needed to change.

I'm not one for resolutions, mostly because I make my resolutions near impossible to accomplish and throw in the towel way too fast.  Traditionally my resolutions have had to do with achieving a certain number on the scale or running a marathon (when, truthfully, I loathe running).  If not some sort of physical achievement, my resolutions have to do with keeping an immaculate house...in short they always revolve around achieving some form of perfection which lives only in my mind.  And so, I shy away from resolutions, because I know perfection is not what matters in this life I live.

But things have been way beyond perfection in my life for some time now.  And in order to refocus on the life I'm making for myself and my family, I've decided to make some changes in my daily habits.  Instead of making one big long list, I've decided to add one new habit every month during 2014.  I started back in November, because November is when I really began to see how lost I was in the midst of the daily chaos.  I'm not seeking perfection all at once.  I'm seeking to improve, period.

Curious about what my changes look like?  Here they are...

1. (November) - I will floss every day.  If I forget and skip a day, I will keep going with the floss the next day.  I really can take the extra minute to floss.  My gums and my dentist will be proud of me.

2. (December) - I will take myself for a walk every day.  If at all possible, I will walk by myself so I can go the pace I like and think to myself in peace.  If it's not possible, then I will take my family for a walk with me.  A snail's pace walk with little ones trumps not walking at all.  We all need to breathe in fresh air.

3. (January) - I will cook more.  My son will re-learn to like foods that aren't processed and pre-packaged.  My daughter will never know the difference.

I'm not sure what February's habit will be.  I'm not there yet.  But I look forward to this new year all the possibilities which lie ahead.

Have you made any changes for the new year?  What are they?




No comments:

Post a Comment