Sunday, June 9, 2013

Carrot Salad

When you come across something not once, not twice, but three times in one week it might just be a sign that it's meant to be.

First, when reading A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg, she made mention of the carrot salad her host-mom made regularly while she lived as a foreign exchange student in France.

Then when reading Bringing Up Bebe, Pamela Druckerman mentioned the wonder that is carrot salad when discussing how French parents feed their children.

And last but not least, when I re-read French Women Don't Get Fat (because I was on an all-things-France kick thanks to Molly and Pamela) Mireille Guiliano mentioned the same carrot salad!

And thus I was introduced to my new BFF, Carrot Salad.

Carrot Salad with basil

As a woman born and raise in the American South, this carrot salad smacks of slaw.  My mom used to make a version with carrots and raisins which I detested growing up.  But this is fancy slaw.  This is French-inspired slaw.  This isn't slaw per se - this is Carrot Salad.

Ingredients:

shredded carrots (1-2 per person)
vinaigrette or a creamy salad dressing (the one in this recipe is fabulous)
raisins, walnuts, pecans, fresh herbs, avocado slices, cherry tomatoes...anything extra you'd like to add

Directions:

Shred your carrots (I use a box grater and call it a workout, but you can use a food processor for this).  Add vinaigrette/dressing to taste.  Top with raisins, nuts, tomatoes, etc.

Yup, that's it!  Simple, quick, and delicious.  It's a great way to use up miscellaneous ingredients and yes, I know it's a slaw.  You're right...really, it is.  But I've taken to calling it Carrot Salad and serving it to my family as a first course...you know, as they would in France.  Bon appetit!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment