Saturday, January 8, 2011

Blast From the Past

It's always nice to be surprised pleasantly surprised.  In our hurried morning trip to the grocery store I came across an old friend.


The Pepsi of my childhood!  I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking that I've been shut in the house for the last 5 1/2 weeks with a newborn baby and on bed rest for weeks before that and it has taken its toll on my sanity...because no sane adult would get so excited over soda.

You might be a teensy bit right.  But to me, it's one more example of a theme I've noticed recently.

Sometimes, the old stuff is better.

Nothing made this more apparent than having a baby.  I cannot tell you how many times the Hubster and I stepped into Babies R Us with the intent to register for everything we needed, only to walk away having scanned only one or two items.  Not because we didn't need anything, but because we were so overwhelmed with the sheer volume of STUFF in that store.  We were sure that we didn't need all that stuff.  But as first time parents, we didn't know how to focus in on what exactly we did need.

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure that all the new, trendy, gadgety baby stuff is extremely helpful and useful for someone.  I just wasn't sure that someone was me.

And, for the most part, I was right.

Sometimes the simpler, old-school version really is better.  And sometimes the bright, shiny, new version with all the bells, whistles, and blinking lights is overrated.

Enter Pepsi v 1.0.  Even now, looking at this picture I'm struck by the fact that REAL sugar in a product has become such a selling point.  Crazy stuff, that old-school sugar. ;)


So I guess now I'm on a bit of a quest for the old-school versions of things.  Sometimes they just can't be beat. 


And if nothing else, the clever marketing of the old look just makes me smile.  And want to put on my jelly shoes, go ride my bike with the streamers on the handles, and have my side ponytail with my puffy aqua-net bangs blowing in the wind.  {the side ponytail...not the bangs.  those suckers never moved.}


Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Judith,
    I just found your blog! Yay!

    I totally agree with you on the baby stuff. I'm doing as much of an old school approach as I can. There was a lot of "crap" that we didn't register for either. I figure somehow, 100 years ago, women did it without all that stuff, so I must be able to do it now. Plus, I don't want all of it cluttering my entire home!

    I can't wait to keep up with your precious family on your blog--now that I've found it!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily! I'm so glad you found the blog. :) I have to admit, we just bought another token baby item...an activity mat with toys hanging off it. As much as I love my pretty living room, Matthew loves his new toy more so it will be a fixture there for a while. What can I say...I'm a sucker. Maybe I can do a living room re-design based off the lime green, orange, aqua, and brown from the mat. ;)

    ReplyDelete