Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ma's Buttermilk Pie

Edie at Life in Grace hosted a lovely linky party this week with all kinds of recipes for goodies.  You must, must, MUST check it out.  But only after you put your fat pants on first.  I intended to join in, but the week got away from me.  Sooo...I'm linking up now!  Better fashionably late than never, right?  ;)

Without further ado, I give you {drum roll please....}


Ma's Buttermilk Pie

This is a family recipe if ever there was one, and it is my Christmas gift to you my friends.  Ma is my Great-Grandmother on my Daddy's side...my Daddy's Mother's Mother.  I never had the pleasure of meeting Ma, but her legacy of good home cooking has been passed down to me and I am eternally grateful.  Here is her recipe, as was handed down to me, for the pie which must be present at all our family functions from Thanksgiving to New Year's. 

Ingredients:

3 eggs {just stir up}
2 cups sugar
2 heaping tablespoons flour {table spoon off the table, heaping with as much as spoon will hold} 
1 stick margarine melted {don't tell Ma, but I use unsalted butter instead!}
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt {I use kosher...it's easier to pinch ;) }

Mix ingredients in order given.  Pour into one 10" unbaked pie shell {or double recipe and use three 8" or 9" shells}.  Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees or until done. 

It's best if you let it cool to room temperature before cutting into it.  But...who am I kidding?  We always make 2...just because we can't let it cool and end up "tasting" half the pie every. single. year.

Now get your fat pants out and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment